Sie sind vermutlich noch nicht im Forum angemeldet - Klicken Sie hier um sich kostenlos anzumelden Impressum 
Zündel-Forum
Sie können sich hier anmelden
Dieses Thema hat 0 Antworten
und wurde 44 mal aufgerufen
 Forum
dasg234 Offline

23.05.2019 12:44
the Thunder smothered the Milwaukee Bucks o Antworten

It was 25 years ago that Wayne Gretzky was traded to the Los Angeles Kings from the Edmonton Oilers - and stunted one of the greatest dynasties in NHL history. To many, that seems like the distant past. But to others... "It goes fast," Peter Berg, the acclaimed filmmaker and director of the ESPN 30 for 30 documentary Kings Ransom told TSN.ca this week. Berg - a self-professed life-long hockey fan - recalls the details of hearing about the trade vividly. "I was actually in Paris and I had just booked an acting job," he said. "A friend woke me up and said ‘Weve got Gretzky. And then he said, ‘We gotta buy season tickets." "I said: ‘We have to buy season tickets? and then I realized that I had to buy them. So I took all the money I made on that film and bought season tickets - because we had Gretzky." The trade turned the franchise on a dime, as Berg remembered the Kings prior to Gretzkys arrival. "They were just kind of a wonderful mess, he said. "I think they averaged a few thousand people per game and we used to go to all the games, because we could afford - for five bucks - to get a ticket." It was kind of like we had a junior team wearing NHL uniforms. Occasionally wed win and occasionally something exciting would happen." And afterwards? "When that trade happened that was exciting," Berg explained."That was the beginning of (Kings owner) Bruce McNalls desire to turn things around." The Kings morphed within the span of a year, becoming a hot spot for Hollywoods elite to coincide with the arrival of the biggest name in hockey. Kings Ransoms archival footage reveals a whos who of the late-1980s elite clamouring to get a look at The Great One: Tom Hanks, Kevin Costner, Sylvester Stallone along with Canadian-born celebs like John Candy and Michael J. Fox. Even U.S. President Ronald Reagan dropped in. "It went from being kind of pathetic to - once Bruce McNall came in - things started to get turned up," said Berg. "The Kings had an owner that was not going to accept the status quo. He was going to figure out a way to shake things up and he sure did." But what about the City of Edmonton? Therein lies the greatest question left lingering by Bergs film and one that is inevitably addressed by Gretzky himself. Gretzky and Berg traded swings on an L.A.-area golf course and Berg asked flat out: "How many Cups could you have won, had you stayed in Edmonton?" "Ummm, I dont know," Gretzky paused. "The team was good enough maybe I wouldve won four more?" So how does a city move on from the possibility of doubling down on what was already one of the greatest teams of all-time? "When you think about the dynasty that was broken up in Edmonton, you cant help but shake your head and wonder," Berg recalled. "Yeah, the trade did a lot and it opened up hockey in the southwest of the U.S. Yes, Wayne is a great ambassador for the sport and yes, his move to L.A. helped make the sport a bit more popular in America. But he never won another Cup and he broke up arguably one of the greatest dynasties in the history of professional sports." But when faced with the question of why the move had to be made, that is where Bergs narrative veers from what has traditionally been accepted as fact in Edmonton, Canada and many other hockey circles.Just about every story thats been told indicated that Oilers owner Peter Pocklington made the move out of the need to get a monetary return for his greatest asset and partially out of frustration with the sheer size of Gretzkys on- and off-ice persona. And in the end, there sat Gretzky, struggling through his tears, saying goodbye to Edmonton. In Bergs conversations with Gretzky it became clearer to the filmmaker that Gretzky was less a victim of the shrewd business tactics of Pocklington and McNall and more a willing participant in the greatest collective turn of fortune in hockey history. "I think the fact that his wife was from there was certainly a factor," he told TSN.ca. "I think the money was a factor and I think that at the end of the day the chance to do it again with another franchise was a chance to take on a new and more epic challenge," Berg said. "I think all of those factors contributed to Waynes decision." But also factoring in was Gretzkys pending free agency and the fact that at least preliminary discussions about a trade had taken place prior to Gretzky hoisting his fourth Stanley Cup with the Oilers. And Gretzky was candid about his reaction to hearing about such discussions. "I was mad they were trying to trade me," he told Berg in Kings Ransom. "So, I left." As for Pocklington, Berg was loath to paint him with the brush of villainy that immediately followed news of the trade. "Look at the reality of what kind of dynasty was broken up," Berg said. "I would imagine Pocklington knew what was happening and he knew that while - yes, he was making some cash - he was also aware of what kind of injury he was causing to his team and to his franchise." In the end, the injuries would go both ways. Gretzky retired without ever again hoisting hockeys top prize and Edmonton - despite the Oilers capturing the Cup once more in 1990 - would soon watch their empire get dismantled piece-by-piece and endure a championship drought that extends to the present day. The cost was high. But in the end, it was one that was paid out on both sides. "[Gretzky] was flat out about it," explained Berg. "He said, ‘I think about it every day, and wiped a tear out of his eye. I can imagine that every time he and Mark Messier get together, theres not a moment where they dont look into each other and kind of wonder what might have been."Cheap Air Jordan 4 Nz Online . "We have always prided ourselves on the way we play defence. Having two big pieces back is going to be a key for us moving forward for years to come," said Knighthawks head coach Mike Hasen. Authentic Jordans Shoes Wholesale . Ibaka equaled a career high with 20 rebounds, adding four blocked shots and 15 points as the Thunder smothered the Milwaukee Bucks offence in a 92-79 victory Saturday night. http://www.cheapairjordan4nz.com/ .Y. -- Injured Buffalo Sabres forward Marcus Foligno did not practice with the team Monday and head coach Ron Rolston said its unlikely hell play in Wednesdays season opener in Detroit. Cheap Authentic Jordan 4 Nz . -- Vincent Lecavalier got everything but the desired result in his return to Tampa Bay. Air Jordan 4 Nz Cheap . Hargreaves began his career in 2008 with the Winnipeg Blue Bombers and has played with the Edmonton Eskimos and last season with the Saskatchewan Roughriders.BOILING SPRINGS, N.C. -- Daniel Fowler hit a late 3-pointer, Matt Rafferty added two critical free throws and Furman held on for a 68-65 win over Gardner-Webb on Saturday.Devin Sibley made 8 of 11 from the free-throw line and finished with 20 points, while Kris Acox scored 18 on 8-of-12 shooting for Furman.Two free throws by Sibley gave Furman (6-4) a 45-30 lead with 17:03 to play, but Liam OReilly hit two 3-pointers during a 20-1 run that was capped by LaQuincy Rideaus conventional 3-point play and gave Gardner-Webb a four-point lead with nine minutees to play.dddddddddddd.There were five lead changes and three ties from there before a layup by Acox and two free throws by Sibley gave the Paladins the lead, 63-59, for good with 1:10 remaining. OReilly hit a 3-pointer 11 seconds later but Fowler answered with another with 31 seconds to play and Raffertys free throws with seven seconds left sealed it.Tyrell Nelson led Gardner-Webb (5-5) with 19 points on 8-of-10 shooting. ' ' '

Sprung  
Kostenloses Forum Hosting
Xobor Erstelle ein eigenes Forum mit Xobor
Datenschutz