Sie sind vermutlich noch nicht im Forum angemeldet - Klicken Sie hier um sich kostenlos anzumelden Impressum 
Zündel-Forum
Sie können sich hier anmelden
Dieses Thema hat 0 Antworten
und wurde 72 mal aufgerufen
 Freizeit
mary123 Offline

01.11.2019 12:12
for much of the past nine months. On Antworten

I filled out my ballots for the International Boxing Hall of Fame this week and sent them back to the Canastota, New York, shrine to make sure it was postmarked before the Monday deadline for electors to vote on the class of 2016. The results will be announced in December and the 28th annual induction ceremonies will take place in June.I received a ballot for each of the four categories up for election this year -- modern fighters (meaning those whose last fight came no earlier than 1989 and have not boxed for at least five years), older-timers, observers and non-participants.The modern category offers 30 candidates but only three newcomers each year. Electors can vote for five but three will be elected.Id prefer for the Hall of Fame to use a percentage threshold like the 75 percent a candidate needs to be elected to the National Baseball Hall of Fame. The boxing Hall of Fame does not do it that way. It simply enshrines the top three vote-getters. That means somebody could, in theory, receive a small percentage of votes and still be elected and I dont think thats right. Conversely, there could be several worthy candidates who might rack up a high percentage of votes but only the top three would make it. Vote totals are also not revealed so we never know the breakdown.It is an imperfect system to be sure but, thankfully, this year was an easy call as opposed to last year when the three newcomers were Hector Camacho Sr., Yuri Arbachakov and Sot Chitalada. None of them were automatic in my view, even though I did vote for Camacho.I voted for three candidates this year, which is how I usually roll. My perspective is that since only three will be elected no matter how many votes others get (unless there is a tie) I go with my top three each year and hope for the best.This year I went with the three newcomers to the ballot, one of the easiest to fill out in years. The great warriors who received my check marks were Evander Holyfield, Marco Antonio Barrera and the late Johnny Tapia, all three of whom I was fortunate enough to cover during their careers.That means I did not vote for any of the 27 holdovers: Arbachakov, Paulie Ayala, Nigel Benn, Chitalada, Donald Curry, Chris Eubank, Leo Gamez, Genaro Hernandez, Julian Jackson, Santos Laciar, Rocky Lockridge, Miguel Happy Lora, James Buddy McGirt, Henry Maske, Darius Michalczewski, Sung-Kil Moon, Michael Moorer, Orzubek Gussie Nazarov, Sven Ottke, Vinny Pazienza, Gilberto Roman, Gianfranco Rosi, Samuel Serrano, Meldrick Taylor, Fernando Vargas, Wilfredo Vazquez Sr. and Ratanapol Sor Vorapin.Holyfield (44-10-2, 29 KOs) is about as much of a no-brainer to vote for as anyone. Hes the only man to win a piece of the heavyweight title four times. He was the undisputed heavyweight champion. Undisputed cruiserweight champion (first ever to do that). Olympic bronze medalist in 1984 (robbed badly in the semifinals).Holyfield was also one of the great action fighters in history and was involved in many of the biggest fights of his era. He upset Mike Tyson twice, had an epic trilogy with Riddick Bowe, beat former heavyweight champs Larry Holmes and George Foreman (albeit aging versions), avenged a loss to Michael Moorer and also beat notable foes such as Ray Mercer, Hasim Rahman and Dwight Muhammad Qawi twice, including in a 15-rounder to win his first world title at cruiserweight in 1986 in probably the greatest fight in division history.Barrera (67-7, 44 KOs) was also a no-brainer. He will go down as one of the greatest Mexican fighters in history after winning world titles in three divisions (junior featherweight, featherweight and junior lightweight) and engaging in some of the most epic fights of his time.He won the legendary trilogy with Erik Morales 2-1, beat Kennedy McKinney in a junior featherweight title defense that is one of the best fights of the 1990s, beat Tapia, Ayala and Kevin Kelley and, in his crowning moment, outpointed (embarrassed, really) then-undefeated Naseem Hamed in a huge upset.Tapia (59-5-2, 30 KOs), who won world titles at junior bantamweight (where he was at his best), bantamweight and featherweight, wasnt the no-brainer pick of Holyfield and Barrera, but he was still an easy vote.Given all of the problems he had in his too-short life, it is amazing Tapia accomplished what he did. He began his career 45-0-2, had a four-year reign as a junior bantamweight champion and made 13 defenses. He will go down as one of the two greatest junior bantamweights in history, along with Khaosai Galaxy. Tapias biggest win came against bitter Albuquerque, New Mexico, rival Danny Romero to unify 115-pound world titles in arguably the most important fight in division history. His two close decision losses to Ayala in fight of the year candidates easily could have gone his way. When Tapia is inevitably elected I am just going to be sad he wont be there to enjoy the moment.In the old-timer category, electors can vote for five but only one will be elected. This is a tough one for me. I am the first to admit that my knowledge of these fighters is not nearly as all-encompassing as it is of the modern boxers. I read up on the candidates, go over their records and seek counsel from those whose opinions I value. The wisdom of Hall of Fame matchmaker/promoter/historian Russell Peltz, in particular, was invaluable. Based on my studying and respect for Peltzs opinions, I voted for light heavyweight Tiger Jack Fox (139-23-12, 90 KOs), who fought from 1928 to 1950, and welterweight and middleweight contender Eddie Booker (66-5-8, 34 KOs), who boxed from 1935 to 1944.Fox, whom Ring magazine rated as one of the top 100 punchers in history, was one of the many black fighters who struggled to get marquee fights because of his color. Although he never won a world title (black fighters in his day were often denied the opportunity), he did beat Hall of Famers such as Jersey Joe Walcott (twice, once by knockout), Maxie Rosenbloom (going 1-1-1) and Lou Brouillard.Booker, known as Black Dynamite, was another black fighter denied opportunities because of his color. He never got to fight for a world title, but he knocked out the great Hall of Famer Archie Moore in their third fight (after twice battling him to a draw) and also defeated Hall of Famers Holman Williams (going 1-1-1) and Lloyd Marshall.In the observer category, I could pick five although two will be elected. I voted for three and hope for a tie so they each get in. I voted for one holdover on the 30-person ballot, former longtime Showtime blow-by-blow announcer Steve Albert, and both newcomers: Barry Tompkins and Steve Farhood, broadcast partners on Showtimes ShoBox: The New Generation series. But Tompkins made his HOF case years ago as the voice of HBO boxing calling the biggest fights of the 1980s (go watch Leonard-Hagler or Pryor-Arguello I, for example, to hear how great he is). Farhood, a friend of mine for many years, is a top-notch analyst, writer and historian. He has worked every single round of every single fight since ShoBox debuted in 2001 and served as editor-in-chief of Ring from 1989 to 1997. He should be a lock.From the 35-person non-participant ballot -- three will be elected -- I voted for one man: famed ring announcer Jimmy Lennon Sr., who died in 1992. His son, Jimmy Lennon Jr., one of todays most famous ring announcers, learned the craft from his father and was elected to the Hall of Fame in 2013. It is preposterous that his father is not already in. Lennon Sr. should have been elected years ago and his absence is a travesty that needs to be corrected. NBA Jerseys Outlet . The 43-year-old closer, in his 19th and final big league season, has said hed like to play the outfield. Yankees manager Joe Girardi says hes thinking about allowing Rivera to do it this weekend, when the Yankees finish their season with a three-game series at the Houston Astros. Wholesale NBA Jerseys . -- Matt Kuchar and Harris English ran away with the Franklin Templeton Shootout, shooting a 14-under 58 on Sunday in the final-round scramble to break the tournament course record. https://www.nbachinajerseys.us/ . Ferrer, trying to win his fourth title on Mexican soil, will next play South Africas Kevin Anderson, who eliminated American Sam Querrey,7-6 (2), 6-4. Also Wednesday, Gilles Simon (6) of France beat Donald Young of the United States 6-4, 6-3, Ukraines Alexandr Dolgopolov downed Frenchman Jeremy Chardy 6-3, 6-4 and Croatias Ivo Karlovic defeated Dudi Sela of Israel 7-6 (4), 6-2. Fake NBA Jerseys . The 27-year-old Scrivens will be joining his third NHL club since signing with the Toronto Maple Leafs as a free agent in 2010. The move also reunites with him with head coach Dallas Eakins from their time together with the American Hockey Leagues Toronto Marlies. NBA Jerseys China . -- Chicago Bears cornerback Tim Jennings was selected Monday to his second straight Pro Bowl, while guard Kyle Long made it after a solid rookie season.ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. -- Not getting any younger and confident hes put in place a young foundation capable of turning the Buffalo Bills into a winner, Buddy Nix called this the right time to step down as general manager on Monday. "I think at some point, youve got to step aside and let young guys that are qualified have their shot," Nix said during a hastily called news conference shortly after Bills completed a voluntary minicamp practice. "I never put a timetable on it. I always felt like Id know when it was the right time. "And I think its the right time." The 73-year-old Nix will not be leaving the team entirely. Hell instead move into a newly created role as a special assistant. Nix steps down two weeks after overseeing his fourth draft with the Bills, which the team opened by selecting its quarterback of the future in Florida States EJ Manuel with the 16th pick. And his departure comes with Buffalo in the midst of yet another start-from-scratch overhaul under new coach Doug Marrone. "I feel strongly that the team is on the right course for success," Nix said. "I think the thing that probably Im the most proud of will be the next two or three years. I think weve got a really good young roster. I love our head coach. I think hes a guy whos going to win a lot of games here for a long time." Assistant GM Doug Whaley, entering his fourth season in Buffalo, is expected to take over. Though the Bills did not immediately announce Nixs replacement, the team has spent much of the past year grooming Whaley to succeed Nix. In signing Whaley to a long-term contract extension in February, both Nix and team president Russ Brandon referred to Whaley as someone who will "transition" into the top job "when the time comes." Whaley is a former scout and executive with the Steelers. He was heavily involved in scouting this past year, and also involved in the Bills coaching search in January. On Monday, Brandon declined to say whether Whaley will take over. Brandon would only say that a succession plan is in place, but refused to provide a timetable as to when a new GM would be appointed. The next general manager will become the teams fifth since John Butler was fired during the 2000 season. The lack of continuity has been blamed on the teams struggles. Buffalo has not enjoyed a winning season since going 9-7 in 2004. And it has not made the playoffs in 13 seasons -- the NFLs longest active drought Nixs departurre is not regarded as a surprise.dddddddddddd He had been sidestepping questions about his future in Buffalo for much of the past nine months. On Monday, Nix said he didnt make up his mind until recently. "I already had a flight and was scheduled to go to St. Pete to start on the 2014 draft," Nix said, referring to the teams annual scouting meeting in St. Petersburg, Fla. "And to be honest with you, my energy levels good as its ever been, but I wasnt all excited about that trip." Nix also intends to spend more time with his family, starting with attending his grandsons 9-year-old birthday party this weekend. Nix has 50-plus years of football experience as a coach, scout and executive at both the college and NFL levels. After serving as a Bills scout in the 1990s, he left Buffalo to spend the next seven seasons in the San Diego Chargers front office. Buffalo lured him out of retirement to work as a scout in 2009. The Bills then promoted Nix to the GMs job later that year. He took over for Brandon, who stepped down as general manager to devote more time to the teams business operations. Nix has had mixed results, with the team going 16-32 since he took over. That included consecutive 6-10 finishes the past two seasons, which led to coach Chan Gailey being fired on Dec. 31. Gaileys firing was a setback for Nix. Aside from hiring Gailey, Nix had voiced his support for the coach through much of last season. Nixs vision to rebuild through the draft has taken longer than he expected. Aside from Manuel, hes used first-round picks to select running back C.J. Spiller, defensive tackle Marcell Dareus and cornerback Stephon Gilmore. And Nixs one major foray into free agency has yet to pay dividends. The Bills defensive struggles continued last season despite the high-priced addition of defensive end Mario Williams, who was signed to a six-year $100 million contract in March 2012. "I knew the first two (seasons) were going to be struggles. But we thought we had things in place to win more games (last season)," Nix said. "But we just didnt get it done for whatever reason." Before drafting Manuel last month, Nix had failed to address the teams most important need at quarterback. Nix put his faith in Ryan Fitzpatrick by signing the journeyman to a long-term contract extension after the Bills got off to a surprising 4-2 start in October 2011. Fitzpatrick failed to play to the expectations and was cut this off-season. ' ' '

Sprung  
Kostenloses Forum Hosting
Xobor Erstelle ein eigenes Forum mit Xobor
Datenschutz