Sie sind vermutlich noch nicht im Forum angemeldet - Klicken Sie hier um sich kostenlos anzumelden Impressum 
Zündel-Forum
Sie können sich hier anmelden
Dieses Thema hat 0 Antworten
und wurde 63 mal aufgerufen
 Quiz
mary123 Offline

30.05.2019 08:18
While Woakes promotion to No. 6 as nig Antworten

In the aftermath of defeat at Lords, it was suggested that future England teams could be selected by the use of video highlights.This, we were told, would empower the England team management to pick players without the filter of other selectors.But imagine you were to watch a highlights package of Englands batting on the first day at Old Trafford. As well as Joe Roots gorgeous back-foot drives - surely among the most beautiful strokes in contemporary cricket - and Alastair Cooks straight drives - a less characteristic stroke - you would also have seen four sparkling boundaries from James Vince. One of them, a cover drive off Yasir Shah, was as pretty a shot as was seen all day. On such evidence, you could be forgiven for concluding that Vince was every bit as good a player as the other two.But its not the good shots that make the difference. Most professional batsmen can put away the half-volley and long-hop. Many boundaries look attractive.What separates the good - and theyre all good players - from those good enough to make it at Test level is the judgment of when to play and when to leave; when to attack and when to defend. As ever with Test cricket, it is as much the shots that are not played, as those that are, that make the difference.So, a highlights package might not include the many deliveries that Root left outside off stump. They might not show him taking a short ball on the shoulder when he realised that, should he attempt a shot, he risked pulling the ball to the two men out for the stroke. They might not illustrate the extra discipline and patience he showed when he swept or pulled - both shots brought his dismissal at Lords; both shots here were studiously played into the ground - or the fact that both men played straighter than in the first Test, or that, in Cooks case, he played his forward defensive strokes with increased conviction to ensure he did not nick off in the same manner as Lords. Defensive shots and leaves tend not to make highlights packages.But they are the moments that make the difference. And as Vince, Alex Hales and Gary Ballance reflect on their performances here, they could do a lot worse than learn from the examples provided by Cook and Root.Hales, to be fair, was beaten by a fine inswinger. Albeit one that passed through a gap between pad and bat so large you could reverse a Winnebago through it. But perhaps the reason for Hales reluctance to get forward was an incident a few balls earlier when he had, on 6, sliced an attempted drive to gully and been fortunate to survive. Determined not to be lured into a similar error, he found his feet glued to the crease.The worrying aspect of Vinces Test experience so far is that he does not appear to be learning. Just as he departed at Lords, chasing one angled across him and slicing an attempted drive to slip, so he fell here. To make matters worse, he had already survived a chance to slip on 6 as a result of the same loose shot. He just makes it too easy for the bowlers.Ballance fell trying to chop a back-of-a-length delivery down to third man. Perhaps surprised by the extra pace of the new ball, his angled bat resulted in a deflection on to his stumps. A straighter bat, a more defensive shot and he would be resuming on the second morning.As it is, Chris Woakes will be the man walking out to bat next to Root. While Woakes promotion to No. 6 as nightwatchman (the position in which he made his Test debut in 2013) is, on one hand, frustrating - it leaves Moeen Ali batting at No. 9 - it was also understandable. He arguably has the tightest technique of any batsman outside the top three. Almost immediately upon arriving at the crease, he played an identical delivery to the one that dismissed Ballance straight back down the pitch: the benefits of a straight, dead bat might not make a highlights package, but they can make the difference in a career.Most of all, this was a day that showed Englands continuing reliance upon Root and Cook. Both men showed they had learned the lessons of Lords and both men showed a willingness to accept the responsibility that has been thrust their way and the desire to work for their runs. As Cook put it, they have talked about being the leaders in this batting line-up; here they backed up their talk with words.As captain you might talk a little bit more than the other players, he said. So sometimes its nice that the actions back up some of the words youve been saying.Cook will never play a drive with the fluency of Vince. But he now has 29 Test centuries. The message for Vince is pretty clear: Test batting is more about denial than dashing. If he cant tighten up, if he cant demonstrate the patience required to graft for his runs; if he cant learn, much of his future batting will be done at county level.The ways I got out last week werent the best, Root agreed, So it was nice to speak about things within the group and then actually go out and deliver it. Its one thing saying it, and another going out and proving it to the rest of your team-mates.I worked really hard today to graft. Maybe I didnt score at the rate I have done previously over the last couple of years, but if thats what its going to take to score big hundreds thats what Im going to have to do. Ive felt in good touch all summer, but Ive found some stupid ways to get out.Looking back at last week, there were two quite reckless shots. You want to learn from that, and make sure you dont make those mistakes again. I was trying to take as much risk out of my batting as possible.Some caution is required while assessing this England total. This is a good batting surface and Pakistan, in chasing wickets, did not bowl with the discipline required to flourish. England are still at least 150 short of a commanding first-innings total. But they do have a platform and they do have Root and Cook and a whole lot of leaving and defending to thank for it. Discount Air Max Shoes . Roman Josi had a goal and an assist to lead the Predators to a 4-1 victory over the Dallas Stars on Monday night. Discount Air Max Sale . In the lead up - which seemed to begin the moment Mike Geiger blew the whistle in Houston last Thursday night - the Impact rumour mill went into overdrive. The speculation went into meltdown mode, of the golden nugget variety. http://www.cheapairmaxchinadiscount.com/ . Jordan Lynch, the all-purpose Heisman Trophy finalist from Northern Illinois, failed to make it into that exclusive club. Cheap Vapormax China Discount . Having already announced that the race will start May 9 with three stages in Northern Ireland and Ireland and finish in Trieste on June 1, the rest of the route was unveiled Monday. Cheap Air Max 97 China Discount . -- If Henry Burris has his way, he will be the starting quarterback to lead the Hamilton Tiger-Cats back to the Grey Cup next year. Understanding the one-sided dominance of the Southeastern Conference rivalry between Florida and Tennessee requires a numerical exhibit.Florida bids for 12 straight wins over Tennessee, a streak that includes three one-point wins for the Gators, who took a 28-27 decision last season. But the Gators are turning to a new quarterback, one with a 2-9 career record as a starter, to keep the streak alive.No. 19 Florida (3-0, 1-0) will go into its game with 14th-ranked Tennessee (3-0, 0-0) with senior Austin Appleby, slated to take over for the injured Luke Del Rio, looking to put his own stamp on the recently one-side series.The two teams clash at 3:30 p.m. ET Saturday in Knoxvilles Neyland Stadium in what could be the deciding game in the SEC East Division, though Georgia also figures to have a say later in the season.Ive come to the University of Florida to play, said Appleby, a graduate transfer from Purdue. Thats ultimately why I chose to come here. I want to be part of something special.I dont think you ever want to be someones caddie. You want to be the guy thats got the ball in his hands. Im excited about my opportunity. It breaks my heart that it had to come by an injury.Appleby started four games for the Boilermakers last season and shouldnt be fazed by playing in front of 108,000 at Neyland Stadium, having played in Big Ten stadiums and hostile environments at Nebraska and at Iowa. He had 11 starts in 17 games in his three years with the Boilermakers.He has a reputation for having a stronger arm than Del Rio, but isnt as accurate. At Purdue last season, he completed 57.4 percent of his passes for 1,260 yards and eight touchdowns in five games, but he also had eight interceptions in his 207 attempts. He completed two of four passes for 30 yards last week against North Texas after Del Rio was hurt late in the third quarter.Del Rio, who has completed 61.4 percent of his passes in his two-plus games for 762 yards and six touchdowns, sustained the knee injury when he was sacked low late in the third quarter by North Texas defensive lineman Joshua Wheeler, who was flagged for a late hit on the play.According to multiple reports, Del Rio suffered a sprained MCL and will be out two to four weeks, but Florida coach Jim McEllwain did not confirm the diagnosis this week.ddddddddddddHe should be back some time, McElwain said. Im not going to rush him back. Weve got other guys. I feel horrible for him, especially how it happened.Tennessee has some injury issues of its own.Volunteers coach Butch Jones confirmed that cornerback Cameron Sutton will be out for an extended time because of a broken ankle. Sutton started the first three games and was credited with eight tackles, two for losses. He also had Tennessees lone interception of the year and was used as both a punt and kickoff returner.Another special teams performer, redshirt freshman Quarte Sapp, who had one tackle on kick coverage in the opener against Appalachian State, is out for the season with a knee injury.We are now very limited on special teams, Jones said. We are going to need some youngsters, who play sparingly, to step up and embrace their role and do their job because the expectations on our special teams will not change no matter who is on the field.We have great confidence that some individuals will step up.Jones expressed concern about attacking Floridas defense.This is probably the best defense we faced since I have been here, he said. They make you earn everything that you get. I have never heard of a team holding another team to 53 yards on defense.That is what Florida did in beating North Texas 32-0 last week. As a team, the Gators have held their first three opponents (UMass, Kentucky, North Texas) to an average of under 130 yards a game in total offense.Defensively, they are going to make you earn every yard that you get, Jones said. Offensively, its the same thing. They play with a physical style of play.Florida will go into the game riding an 11-game winning streak in the series, but the last two games have been decided by just one point.Thats why you come to Florida, to play in these kind of rivalry games, McElwain said. Heres the great thing about Florida, we have more than one of them. Thats what I want, for our guys to let loose and enjoy the environment, the atmosphere because Ive been at places where you had to make the rivalry up. ' ' '

Sprung  
Kostenloses Forum Hosting
Xobor Erstelle ein eigenes Forum mit Xobor
Datenschutz